WHARVES AND ARMS
There were many wharves along the canal at various times to serve most of the villages, communities and businesses near to the canal. This is a list of some of them.
Warings Green wharf.
Hockley Heath wharf is now a small disused arm which was used for unloading coal; this was important when the first attempt at digging the canal ended at this village in 1796; there was no rush to complete the canal because the Dudley Canal and the Worcester and Birmingham Canal, which led to the source of coal, were not themselves complete
Site of present-day Swallow Cruisers.
Dicks Lane wharf is at Lock 25.
Pinners Bridge, Lapworth
Lapworth. There is a wider part of the canal between locks 13 and 14 which is known as Briar Cottage with mooring for a dozen boats.
Kingswood Basin. This was a trans-shipment area when the canal terminated here in 1812.
Kingswood. There was also a wharf behind the Navigation Inn on the linking arm to the Warwick and Birmingham Canal.
Wootton Wawen basin was built when there was another pause in construction. It is now a hire boat base.
Gas Works Arm near Birmingham Road, Stratford.
Bancroft Basin; to see a more complete story, see Junctions
We do not include canal-side businesses and facilities such as boatyards, water points and pump-outs because they are subject to change and errors may mislead. For similar reasons we do not include closures etc. Many other sources for this information do exist, probably the most up-to-date is the CRT website.